DC announces new Pride Variant Covers, Two New Comic Series and more!
It was a monumental day for one of the Big Two Comic Book Publishers, DC Comics announced that they would be releasing a book that would be featuring LGBTQIA+ characters in an 80-Page Anthology Comic titled “DC Pride: A Celebration of LGBTQIA+ Characters and Creators“. A Comic that will include LGBTQIA+ characters from the DC Universe, including cameos from fan-favorites such as Batwoman, Renee Montoya, Alan Scott, Midnighter, Apollo, Extraño, Poison Ivy, Harley Quinn, Constantine, and more. Crush & Lobo will launch on June 1st and DC Pride will publish on June 8th.
Also confirmed will be the DC Pride Creative teams and the characters they are developing stories for are listed below:
- Batwoman (Kate Kane) by James Tynion IV & Trung Le Nguyen
- Poison Ivy & Harley Quinn by Mariko Tamaki & Amy Reeder
- Midnighter by Steve Orlando & Stephen Byrne
- Flash of Earth-11 (Jess Chambers) by Danny Lore & Lisa Sterle
- Green Lantern (Alan Scott) & Obsidian by Sam Johns & Klaus Janson
- Aqualad (Jackson Hyde) by Andrew Wheeler & Luciano Vecchio
- Dreamer by Nicole Maines & Rachael Stott
- Renee Montoya by Vita Ayala and Skylar Patridge
- Pied Piper by Sina Grace, Ro Stein & Ted Brandt
That’s right, Nicole Maines will be writing a story about Dreamer, Maines made history for her role as the first transgender superhero in DC/CW’s Supergirl Television Series. Also, Marc Andrekyo will write a Forward accompanied by single-page pin-ups by artists Kris Anka, Sophie Campbell, Mildred Louis, Travis Moore, Nick Robles, and Kevin Wada.
Also, DC will be releasing Pride variant covers through June, while showcasing DC’s Leading Characters and allowing fans to purchase comics featuring covers with Batman, Harley, Ivy, Superman, Wonder Woman, and more. Here is a list of Variant Covers for the following Comic Books and including several Variant Covers to view:
- Batman #109 Pride variant cover by Jen Bartel
- Crush & Lobo #1 Pride variant cover by Yoshi Yoshitani
- DC Pride #1 Pride variant cover by Jen Bartel
- Harley Quinn #4 Pride variant cover by Kris Anka
- Nightwing #81 Pride variant cover by Travis G. Moore
- Superman #32 Pride variant cover by David Talaski
- Teen Titans Academy #4 Pride variant cover by Stephen Byrne
- Wonder Girl #2 Pride variant cover by Kevin Wada
- Wonder Woman #773 Pride variant cover by Paulina Ganucheau
But wait, there’s more! In addition to the Pride Variant Covers, DC will be launching Crush & Lobo, written by Mariko Tamaki and illustrated by Amancay Nahuelpan. This Eight-Issue Miniseries tells the tale of Crush, daughter of the Czarnian bounty hunter Lobo, and she is in full-on self-destruct mode! After rage-quitting the Teen Titans and blowing up her relationship with her girlfriend Katie, Crush decides it’s time to finally confront her father in space jail and get her baggage sorted before she wrecks everything. Here are several variants for the new series, one of the variants included is part of the Pride Variants.
Finally, DC will publish GLAAD Media Award-nominated Suicide Squad: Bad Blood by Tom Taylor (Injustice: Gods Among Us) and Bruno Redondo (Nightwing) on April 27th, DC’s gothic LGBTQIA+ romance Poison Ivy: Thorns by Kody Keplinger (The DUFF) and Sara Kipin on June 1st, and Mariko Tamaki and Yoshi Yoshitani’s highly anticipated YA graphic novel, I Am Not Starfire, will publish on July 27th as part of the publisher’s overall Pride plans in 2021. Lois Lane by Greg Rucka and Mike Perkins, Far Sector by N.K. Jemisin and Jamal Campbell and You Brought Me The Ocean by Alex Sánchez and Julie Maroh have also been nominated for GLAAD Media Awards in 2021.
Thanks for reading! If you have any suggestions, news tips, or questions, email me at firstname.lastname@example.org. Also, be sure to Follow and Subscribe to the Nerd Den on Social Media, Links are located on the sidebar. Also, Be sure to check out our new store, Red’s Nerd Shop!